To learn more about the expansion, we talked to championship pistol shooter Jim Henderson, previously with the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU), and the newly-minted Cardinal Center competitions director for pistol and rifle.
“The Cardinal Center will have a total of three ranges, with 100 covered points per range. Currently, we have one range of 100 covered points that’s near completion,” said Henderson. “We just need some cosmetic things done.”
Two of the three ranges that Henderson mentions will have 100-yard berms with three target distances: 25 yards and meters, 50 yards and meters, and 100 yards. The final 100-point range will feature both 25- and 50-yard distances. In addition to the new bullseye pistol ranges, there’s 14 separate 40- x 75-foot pistol bays, and a 50-yard action shooting area.
But, the folks at Cardinal aren’t stopping with the range upgrades. There are plans to construct a new clubhouse, including a retail store. Henderson says they will have everything from guns to t-shirts for sale. And there’s endless outdoor recreation activities for when shooting is done for the day.
“We have hundreds of RV and campsites, and a couple dozen cabins to rent. Also, there’s a 150-person banquet hall, indoor pool, camp store and a pond for fishing,” added Henderson. “We even have a cornhole tournament area, and a full-service restaurant on site.”
The facility offers plenty to see and do, just remember to bring comfortable shoes, because you may be walking a lot. It’s that big. Thanks to the campground, cabins and RV camp, competitors can bring their families for matches.
“Our goal here at Cardinal is to make the complex a destination trip for the entire family,” said Henderson.
Below is the bullseye match schedule for the Cardinal Center in 2019.
- April 14: 2700 match, lunch provided, $45 entry fee
- May 12: 2700 match, lunch provided, $45 entry fee
- June 9: 2700 match, lunch provided, $45 entry fee
- July 2-3: 3600 match (.22/CF/.45/SP), lunch provided, $150 entry fee, .22 EIC/DR/SP EIC matches will all be $15 each
- August 11: 2700 Ohio State Outdoor Championship, lunch provided, $70 entry fee, .22 EIC/DR/SP EIC matches will be $15 each
- September 8: 2700 match, lunch provided $50 entry fee, .22 EIC/DR/SP EIC will be $15 each
- October 13: 2700 match, lunch provided, $45 entry fee
- Spring League: April 24 - June 26, $85 entry fee
- Fall League: August 7 - October 9, $85 entry fee
Go to www.cardinalcenter.com to learn more about this facility.