USA Shooting has announced that six rifle athletes are competing in back-to-back international competitions this month in Europe.
The first competition is the Meyton Cup in Innsbruck, Austria, to be held January 20-25. Second is the H&N Cup, which will be held in Munich, Germany, from January 24-29.
The following men will be representing Team USA at the competitions.
- Brandon Muske—2022 Championship of the Americas (CAT) gold medalist and U.S. Olympic quota earner in Men’s 10m Air Rifle
- Tim Sherry—2022 ISSF World Championship bronze medalist in 300m Standard Rifle
The following women will be competing for Team USA.
- Sagen Maddalena—Five-time medalist at the 2022 Championship of the Americas and earned a U.S. Olympic quota in Women’s 50m Rifle 3-Position at the 2022 ISSF World Championships
- Alison Weisz—2022 ISSF World Championships gold medalist and U.S. Olympic quota earner in Women’s 10m Air Rifle
- Ginny Thrasher—2016 Olympic Games gold medalist
- Jeanne Haverhill—2022 Dixie Double Champion
The rifle team is going into 2023 after a banner year in 2022. The team earned 21 medals at the 2022 CAT Games, 10 medals at the 2022 ISSF World Championships and a total of six U.S. Olympic quotas for the 2024 Paris Olympic Games in the following events:
- Men’s 10m Air Rifle
- Women’s 10m Air Rifle (2)
- Men’s 50m 3 Rifle 3 Positions
- Women’s 50m Rifle 3 Positions (2)
The area of Europe where the competitions will take place is a popular location for air guns and shooting sports. In fact, some of the clubs date back to the Middle Ages. Also notable—Meyton is a brand of electronic targets and H&N makes air gun pellets.
Learn more about USA Shooting at usashooting.org.