by SSUSA Staff - Thursday, July 27, 2017
Just got back from U.S. Nationals at Camp Atterbury … Here are my observations:
1) The range was outstanding. Facing the south wasn't a problem.
2) On-base accommodations were great and inexpensive.
3) The base is only 45 min from Indianapolis International Airport.
4) The base is close to towns with restaurants and shopping.
5) The transportation to and from the pits [was] air conditioned vans.
6) By all accounts the event ran smoothly.
The only downsides were that we got rain one day [which] delayed the matches till the afternoon. Overall the weather was hot and humid. That being said, I'm sure my bullets which are accustomed to high elevation appreciated the high humidity.
Overall, I loved it. I'm going back for certain.
Another competitor's observations:
The National Championships at Camp Atterbury are running like butter. [We were] off the range by 2:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. at the very latest … Just sat through the Mid Range National Championships awards ceremony/dinner. Here’s how it went:
1) They had a spectacular venue!
2) The NRA had a fully catered in dinner and soft drinks for the event.
3) The NRA had a fully stocked prize table that was (I’m guessing) was close to $8,000-$10,000. This was given out by random draw, but you had to be present to win.
- Several 1000-count Sierra Bullets gift certificates.
- Several Hogdon 8-pounder gift certificates.
- Berger Bullets gift certificates.
- AR-15 rifle barrel.
- Five $500 checks from Nosler.
- Several thousand pieces of Lapua .223 brass.
- Several hundred Lapua .223 bullets.
- FN 509 pistol.
- Really nice hard gun case.
- More that I can’t remember.
The matches ran like butter all week and the ranges were in top notch shape! We were off the range no later than 2:30 p.m. every day and they had endless water and snacks for us in the pits!
All in all this was one of the better matches I have been to!
The same was also done for across the course and will be done for Long Range. The reason it was inside for Mid Range was due to the smaller numbers ... Earl Liebetrau said he wants to move F-Class Nationals to Atterbury in 2019 and also have heard that Fullbore may be coming soon.
This competitor was at Camp Atterbury for the duration of the High Power Championships:
I am liking Atterbury, been here for all of it. Certainly miss some elements of Perry, but overall this is better. I will be back here. I am not understanding why all the animosity seems to be directed towards the NRA. Surely the CMP deserves some of the blame for the breakup.
And finally, this competitor said he thought Camp Atterbury is phenomenal before the matches concluded:
I registered for across the course, Mid Range and Long Range. Two down and one to go. Despite the miserable [across the course] scores I shot the experience was phenomenal. Mid Range turned out okay and I am looking forward to Long Range. The matches have been run very well. The Atterbury range has never looked better! The carriers were in good repair and were able to be operated by one person.
I am not privy to the politics that went into the necessity for competing matches but I can say that the NRA has put its best foot forward with the matches at Camp Atterbury!
Read more National Matches coverage at this link: www.ssusa.org/national-matches
For questions/comments about Shooting Sports USA, please e-mail:
For questions/comments about NRA competitions, please e-mail:
You can contact the NRA via phone at: NRA Member Programs
To advertise on Shooting Sports USA, visit nramediakit.com for more information
Get the Shooting Sports USA newsletter for at-a-glance access to industry news, gear, gun reviews, videos and more—delivered directly to your Inbox.