USA Shooting has announced the Paralympic team members that will head to the United Arab Emirates for the 2022 World Shooting Para Sport World Championships, which kick off on Thursday.
The tournament, to be held in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates, from November 3 through November 18, will be a prime opportunity for USA Shooting athletes to capture their first U.S. Paralympic quotas for the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games. (A quota is the entry ticket necessary for a country to send athletes to compete in the Olympic or Paralympic Games.)
In addition, the 2022 Al Ain Para Sport World Championships will be remembered as Brenda Silva’s first competition in a dual-hatted role as USA Shooting’s new Paralympic coach and manager.
The United States Paralympic World Championship team members announced by USA Shooting are listed below.
- Yan Xiao Gong, P1: Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1, P3: Mixed 25m Pistol SH1 and P4: Mixed 50m Pistol SH1
- Marco De La Rosa, P1: Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 and P3: Mixed 25m Pistol SH1
- Michael Tagliapietra, P1: Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 and P3: Mixed 25m Pistol SH1
- Madison Champion, R4: Mixed 10m Air Rifle Standing SH2 and R5: Mixed 10m Rifle Prone SH2
- Jazmin Almlie-Ryan, R4: Mixed 10m Air Rifle Standing SH2, R5: Mixed 10m Rifle Prone SH2 and R9: Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH2
- Kevin Nguyen, R3: Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1 and R6: Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH1
- Nick Beach, R3: Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1 and R6: Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH1
- John Joss, R6: Mixed 50m Rifle Prone SH1
Although Paralympic Trap is not an official Paralympic Games event, there is an ongoing effort to include it in the schedule of events. USA Shooting said that it will be sending athletes to compete in Paralympic Trap events at the Para Sport World Championships, intent on “helping it through the process of being added to the [Paralympic] Games.”
Women’s Paralympic Trap
- Sophia Bultema, PT3 Mixed Team
- Brandy Elrod, PT3 Mixed Team
- Becky Noble, PT1 Mixed Team
Men’s Paralympic Trap
- Jose Martinez Pico, PT2 Mixed Team
- Samuel Rudloff, PT3 Mixed Team
There will be 19 events in competition at the Al Ain 2022 Para Sport World Championships, including 13 mixed team events. The mixed team events have men and women to competing shoulder-to-shoulder, instead of on separate teams.