The 2017 NRA Intercollegiate Pistol Championships commence this week at Ft. Benning in Columbus, GA. Here is a list of six things you may not have known about this match.
6) The first NRA Intercollegiate Pistol Championship was held at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1981. Brent Oydna of the U.S. Naval Academy was the first Free Pistol Champion, with the Naval Academy also winning the Free Pistol Team Championship. Timothy Westfall of the University of Virginia was the Standard Pistol Champion.
5) In 1987, Audrey Hayes of the University of Texas-Arlington became the first Women's Air Pistol Champion. The Championship was held that year at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. In 1993, Linda Biglow of the University of Virginia became the first Women's Sport Pistol Champion.
4) Several U.S. service academies have competed and won at the match. In 1986, the U.S. Military Academy became the first Open Team Champion. The following year, the U.S. Naval Academy matched the feat, and in 1994, the U.S. Air Force Academy won. The service academies would continue dominate the Open Team Championship until 2000, when the Ohio State University became the first to break their streak.
3) Since 2008, the NRA Intercollegiate Pistol Championships have been held at Ft. Benning. The home of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, the military has provided invaluable support by allowing the use of world class ranges, conducting clinics and providing staff support for the Championships. Additionally, the NRA receives tremendous assistance from volunteers—many of whom are former collegiate competitive shooters themselves.
2) The Ohio State University has won three consecutive Open Team Championships since 2014. The Buckeyes are in the hunt for a fourth one this year, with several experienced seniors returning to compete for the last time at the match.
1) The NRA All-American Program recognizes collegians who have performed remarkable feats throughout the shooting season. During each year's Intercollegiate Pistol Championships awards ceremony, the Pistol All-Americans are announced. Each receives a brassard and certificate, and also a special plaque is given to the college, listing that school's All-Americans.