Julius Gottfried Anschutz founded J.G. Anschutz in 1856 in Mehlis, Thuringia, Germany. Forty years later, the company moved from its small workshop to its first factory building, and within 10 years grew from 76 to 550 employees. After World War II, the Russians shut down and dismantled the factory, initiating the Anschutz family’s move to Ulm, West Germany. Again, the company grew quickly and shortly thereafter, the first Olympic gold medals were won at the 1960 Olympic Games with Anschutz target rifles, equipped with the world famous Match 54 action. Since then, Anschutz has been a well-known fixture on the firing line.
From its headquarters in Ulm, Anschutz serves customers in approximately 90 countries, with a few distributors located in the U.S., including Anschutz North America.
In 2007, then-Anschutz President Dieter Anschutz told Shooting Sports USA, “Our plans for the future are the production and further development of the world’s best target rifles, as well as target air pistols which are produced by our sister company, Steyr Sportwaffen GmbH in Austria, and the further development of target shooting accessories form our sister company, ahg Anschutz Handelsgesallschaft GmbH.”
In 2006, Anschutz celebrated its 150th anniversary, and continues to be recognized for its innovation and perfection. For the 160th anniversary in July 2016, the company released several limited edition commemorative rifles (including one beauty manufactured from titanium) in the months leading up to the 2017 IWA Show.
For more information, visit www.anschuetz-sport.com
Read more company origin stories: